Helping others to work it out
Sometimes the best way for a person to develop their skills is by working with someone who has been there and done it. While you are working through your next steps, you could be helping others to work out theirs.
Our Mentor Scheme places people like you into small businesses or young start-ups that do not yet have much senior experience in their teams, or into companies that need some short-term support while they are developing new products or channels to market.
Why should I become a mentor?
The businesses signed up to our Mentor Scheme are usually sole traders, early-stage ventures, or small businesses in a vulnerable growth phase that can't afford the fees of a full-blown consulting contract, but are extremely grateful for the guidance our mentors provide.
- Our mentors generally find the experience hugely rewarding too and come away feeling they have learned from it.
- It makes a great addition to your CV and you can make use of the Mentor Training you have received in future situations.
- It can be a useful way to keep your skills up-to-date and fill any gaps on your CV if you are between roles.
- For those who have had a longer career break, it can be a helpful way to get used to being in a corporate environment again.
- It will increase your network of contacts and exposure to the market.
- You will be paid a daily rate by the client for your time.
Who qualifies as a mentor?
Our mentors are senior industry figures, who, like you, are between roles, or have embarked on a portfolio career, or who find that retirement doesn't agree with them! To qualify as a mentor:
- You will have executive level experience across a range of sectors and functions, which we will assess during an interview, and
- You must complete our Mentor Training Programme.
How do I join the scheme?
Sign up to About Success and register your interest to become a mentor. We will then contact you to talk through the process and arrange an interview. Once you have completed the Mentor Training Programme, we will match you to a mentoring project that best fits your skills and experience. As a signed-up member to About Success, you will also be benefit from all the other services available as part of the About Success Club.